Bowling Pin Shoot

Post anything and everything related to guns here...
hangman
Acolyte

Bowling Pin Shoot

Post#1 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:28 pm

Well, today was our monthly bowling pin shoot. Karen asked if we could go early for some practice. The shoot starts at 3:00. Karen wanted to go at 11:00 this morning, so we went. She loves that 1022 Ruger. She must have shot 300-400 rounds through it today. She was getting her grouping in an area the size of a baseball not counting a stray or two when she jerked. Not bad considering she started shooting about 3 months ago. She still has some angst about the .45s, though last trip she shot more than anyone through the new 1991. About 100 rounds. And, I really like having her there with me and enjoying it.

There was a twist to the set-up for the bp shoot. Up until today we set up 5 pins on a table and timed the shooter until he knocks the wooden ones off the table. Using the steel cut-outs, you only had to knock them over which was getting way too easy. So Danny came up with a humbling exercise. 5 steel ones on the table, 4 real ones on each side of the table on the ground and in front of the table 2 more steel ones. The point being you'd have to change mags. I finished 2nd at 60.20 seconds with no penalty points. Eliis smoked us at 38.65. We talked about it before we shot and knew that hits were as important than speed, if not more so. Well, it was more so. Those misses caused me to use 4-8 rd mags with 1 in the barrel at the start, a total of 33 shots. Danny took 35 shots but timed out at 1:31. I had to hit 4 of 'em at least twice to knock 'em over. The .22 part was 2 on each side 5 on the table and 2 on the ground in front of the table. With only 2-10 round clips each, only Keith didn't have penalty points for leaving a pin standing. I had 40 points penalty.

But, Karen is still gushing, she really enjoyed it. And all the folks are good people. I haven't met one asshole or hothead at the range yet.

hangman
Acolyte

Post#2 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:02 pm

Guys, I have to brag on Karen a little. In our .22 rifle shoot Saturday Karen scored 218/300. At 50 yds. she got 5 bullseyes and 3 more in the 10 ring. She beat Chip and Ellis at 50. In the 100 she scored well considering her first 2 tries she didn't hit the paper at all. I'll have to start calling her Annie Oakley if she gets much better. She was the only one to have a dead center bullseye at 100.

I beat Chip and Ellis by 21 points but Ray beat me by 11. So, 2nd place again.

I am seeing a change in her demeanor as she gets more comfortable with guns. Her beautiful cousin Snady had her house broken into a couple of months ago while she was gone. Now she calls her dad to come sit with her when she takes a bath and is terrified that she may be visited again.

Karen just about floored me when she told Sandy of the big rise in her self confidence because of her shooting regularly. Then she invited her to join us and learn how to handle a gun and not be so afraid all the time. I hope she joins us as that's no way to go through life.

hangman
Acolyte

Post#3 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:14 am

What a beautiful spring day we had today for our monthly rifle match. About 75 degrees, just a few clouds, but tempered by crosswinds at 20 mph gusting a little more. We all shot a few points lower than last month but the results were the same.

Ray, age 80-85, beat me for the third month running. By 8 points this time which bettered last months margin of 14. The wind blows the heck out of those 40 gr. bullets. Karen forgot to allow for the drop from 50-100 yds, so she didn't hit a score from 100 yds, but she had a respectful 145 from 50 yds out of 200. Chip beat Karen by a few and Ellis was third 21 points behind me.

We had a visitor today that had quite an effect on Karen and I. He was there to get his .45 back from Chip after a trigger job and showed off his attitude adjuster(concealed carry piece). He was proud that he was a CCW permit holder. I showed him the ankle holster I wear and he asked if I had a permit for it. I could not pass this up. I said" yes, the Constitution." He said I'd better get one if I didn't want to get in trouble. And I knew he had a valid point. But, dammit. My principles override the prospect of trouble. And I know y'alls do, too. I then I said " let me get this straight. I as a free individual should ask permission from our servant government, and pay to do so, to exercise a Natural Right?" His face was the old deer in the headlights bit. A few monents later he asked what I'd do if I was stopped. I said " Stopped for what. I've never been frisked for speeding before." He was at a loss for words for quite some time, so I excused myself to finish stowing our gear.

As we were driving off the range, Karen said " I bet he was a retired cop. He asked too many questions about the permit thing." I said " That or a retired judge." She continued "He's what's wrong with this country." I said " Yep, total obedience to an illegal authority." It's still a topic of conversation.

I beat Chip AGAIN. I have to gloat some as he has kicked a$$ at the Bowling Pin shoot. Counting .22 and center fire, he's won 13 out of the last 14. I beat him about half the time when I shot my Combat Commander. Ummm, he built the one I'm now using. Hmmmm. You don't think? So I told this to him and he said sure, he put a moving rear sight on it that moves every time you shoot it. He's a real big cut up. As I was loading gear, he moved my bench rest to his bench and covered it with a towel. He let Karen and I search, extremely perplexed, for a few minutes before letting on.

These are some fine guys. Ray and I talked after the shoot and he talked about how he bought several guns for his son, who prefers fishing. The 60ish son has never fired any of them. Wierd, huh? He wondered why we didn't have more young folks shooting with us. Bradley hasn't been at a shoot for 3 or 4 months. It's baseball season now instead of basketball season.

I think Polly was not feeling too well, so Ellis left immediately after the shooting and scoring was done. I'm gonna go over tomorrow and ask about the visitor. I think his name was Gary.

Sorry for rambling, I got some new today.