Jailhouse Letter from Ed Steele Explains How He Was Framed

Post Freedom Fighters Penal Addresses, their stories and travails contact information. As long as our Feddies are acting like criminals and jailing good people, this board will EXIST
pokerkid
Site Admin

Post#1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Another one of our friends being setup by the anti-American parasites of the ADL.
This time they are f-ing with Ed Steele. Groups like the ADL and SPLC will be imprisoned for their crimes against Americans and America, when we take over our government again.
pk

AMERICAN FREE PRESS EXCLUSIVE

rss202

By Pat Shannan

After being held incommunicado for nearly a month, Idaho attorney Edgar Steele was finally able to get a letter out of the Spokane County Jail, where he is being held on shaky federal charges of “murder for hire.” He maintains that a confidential informant (CI) in the feds’ employ lied to the authorities regarding the alleged plot in order to cover up the theft of tens of thousands of dollars in silver coins the CI had stolen from Steele sometime earlier.

In addition to being an outspoken foe of the Israeli state and the Anti-Defamation League, Steele has spent the last half of his law career defending—often pro bono—the politically incorrect and especially those charged with “hate crimes,” thereby creating a case history that evidently has made him a federal target.

Larry Fairfax, 49, is the CI who claims Steele offered him $25,000 to kill Mrs. Steele and her mother. Her mother resides in Oregon.

This writer has learned that Fairfax has been a longtime informant used by the FBI to gather information in both drug and “hate crime” cases. Steele had been under surveillance for several months. Fairfax had been Steele’s handyman, doing home repairs.

Following a June 11 arrest, federal agents destroyed the Steele home, ripping up floorboards and tearing out wall partitions, before hauling away a large amount of silver, gold and other valuables.

Ingri Cassell, widow of Idaho Observer publisher Don Harkins and longtime Steele family friend, experienced several failed attempts to visit or receive a collect phone call from Steele before finally receiving a letter from him on July 9. In the following letter, Steele’s explanation of likely events behind the scenes, coupled with the known facts, begins to make sense of the bizarre and dubious accusations of a month earlier:

Dear Ingri,

Thank you for your letter.

All calls out are almost non-existent. I was looking forward to seeing you and [Dr.Allen Banks] yesterday. I suppose they just turned you away? I haven’t had a single visitor here so far and only barely been allowed to see my public defender. I’m not allowed to call my lawyer even until next week. I am in max security, full lockdown, solitary confinement. Worse even than the treatment accorded Matt Hale.

Most of [my] mail is returned to senders—usually because of their using letters instead of full first and last names in the review [sic] in the return address. OK. I am innocent, for what that is worth in Amerika today. Here is what happened:

My hillbilly handyman stumbled across a stash of silver bullion in one of my outbuildings—then searched and found two others (at $15,000 and $45,000 total). Knowing I would discover the theft [and] know it was him, he tried to kill me with two pipe bombs he placed on the cars he knew I drove.

They both failed to go off. Cyndi left town with one before he removed it, which led to the discovery of the car bomb on our Mitsubishi SUV.

banner_newsletter

This guy had offered to be a hit man before, more than once, but I dismissed him as a harmless buffoon. I had told him of the ADL [and] its hatred for me. This murder-for-hire plot is beyond my hillbilly hit man, so I assume he went to the ADL, which either fabricated tapes that he played for the FBI recorder or produced a mimic of me to make the tapes for the FBI on the spot. Regardless, I have been framed and set-up! [By the way], the ADL was quoted extensively in the government’s opening papers in court.

I haven’t heard from my wife or son and fear they have been convinced by the U.S. attorney prosecutor of my guilt. I feel totally abandoned. What can you and others do? Ingri, I honestly don’t know. Obviously, this is going to trial. I may well be convicted, which will be the same as a death sentence at this stage in my life. I am so depressed. I never expected them to come after me like this.

You may share this with others . . . with my address so they can write me—please write me—but tell them to put their full names and addresses [as a clear return address] on the envelopes. [The address is: Edgar Steele #361857, Spokane County Jail, W. 1100 Mallon, Spokane, Wash. 99260-0320.]

It was Ms. Cassell’s flurry of letters and phone calls to sheriffs, judges and congressmen the previous 30 days that pressured the authorities into later relenting and allowing Steele to have visitors and make collect phone calls. However, because of the pending charges, his wife and children still are not allowed to visit.

Ms. Cassell and Banks were finally able to visit him on July 13, at which time Steele told them of the “bone chilling” effect he felt when listening to one of the tapes allegedly recorded secretly by Fairfax. Steele said he became physically ill as he heard “someone else speaking but using my voice.”

For more than a decade, scientist George Papcun, by taking just a 10-minute digital recording of anyone’s voice, has shown how to clone speech patterns and develop an accurate facsimile.

Dr. Don Nicoloff, a multi-talented musician and audio recording engineer who professes expertise in detecting fraudulent recordings, says that the creation of fictitious audio recordings has become very sophisticated, yet the technologies currently used have limitations.

Those limitations center on the formation of digital samples from an analog recording, and tampering is not difficult to detect.

“Every sound which can be recorded,” reports Nicoloff, “including the voices of Edgar Steele and Larry Fairfax, has its own, unique signature. Those unique signatures are called ‘formants.’ Formants are distinguishable to a trained ear, especially when they have been manipulated. Formants can also be identified and analyzed as waveforms on a computer screen or oscilloscope. Placing a formant into a given sound field causes the formant to modulate when the sound field has been altered, manipulated, or is absent. Changes in room ambience and/or recording methods are very apparent.”

Voice-altering software is sold for as little as $29.95. Voice synthesis software, which can actually create or mimic voice patterns, is significantly more expensive, but is widely available to public and private entities.

Subscribe to American Free Press. Online subscriptions: One year of weekly editions—$15 plus you get a BONUS ELECTRONIC BOOK - HIGH PRIESTS OF WAR - By Michael Piper.

Print subscriptions: 52 issues crammed into 47 weeks of the year plus six free issues of Whole Body Health: $59 Order on this website or call toll free 1-888-699-NEWS .

(Issue # 31, August 2, 2010)

Send this page to a friend! (click here)

Please make a donation to American Free Press

Not Copyrighted. Readers can reprint and are free to redistribute - as long as full credit is given to American Free Press - 645 Pennsylvania Avenue SE, Suite 100 Washington, D.C. 20003

pokerkid
Site Admin

WHERE TO DONATE AND HELP EDGAR STEELE FUND

Post#2 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 pm

WHERE TO DONATE AND HELP EDGAR STEELE FUND
http://www.free-edgar-steele.com/?page_id=106

pokerkid
Site Admin

The latest on Ed Steeles ordeal at the hands of the ADL

Post#3 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:15 pm

(Sent on behalf of Mrs. Steele by the Free Edgar Steele support team,
website [HERE] [http://www.free-edgar-steele.com/] )

September 17, 2010

Cyndi G. Steele
P.O. Box 1255
Sagle, ID 83860

Dear Friends of Edgar Steele:

Edgar J. Steele has been entrapped by a legal system that presumes his
guilt in the face of false charges. Ed has been in jail and solitary
confinement for three months in Spokane, WA because of false allegations
that he masterminded a murder-for-hire plot to kill me and my mother. I
have never believed that Ed was involved in such a plot! Ed has defended
the politically incorrect for years; people who, were it not for him,
never would have had representation. Those who oppose Ed hate the truth
and have threatened to harm Ed, me and our family in the past. Clearly,
he is a political prisoner of the USA and quite literally, he is fighting
for his life. There is a growing number of people who are banding
together to make it possible for Ed to have the defense he needs against
bogus government charges. We are asking you to join us.

Here is the bottom line: without experts to prove that false government
tape recordings are only imitations of Ed’s speech patterns (using voice
cloning technology), and without experts to present the truth about
alleged explosives, Ed will be “sent to the gallows” for something he
didn’t do. We have an opportunity to prevent this great injustice. This
is not the first time the government has made false criminal allegations
against innocent people. Thus, it is our choice whether we want to be a
part of the movement to stop this kind of government-sponsored insanity.
Let me tell you, we sincerely need your help.

I humbly ask for your assistance, as I am financially strapped and unable
to raise the amount of money necessary to provide a proper defense for my
husband. Any financial gift you can make will go directly to the Ed
Steele Defense Fund, to be placed in an attorney’s trust account and to
be used exclusively for Ed’s defense. Contributions of $50.00 and $100.00
will be greatly appreciated as we try to make our goal of $250,000.00
needed to pay both attorney fees and the legal costs of this case. Time
is critical as we need to have a new attorney on board soon who will work
for Ed.

Edgar needs an attorney who is willing to challenge the FBI’s conduct and
show that the government is wrong. Edgar can’t move forward without your
help in funding his defense. Your kind financial assistance will help us
to engage a qualified attorney (who has already been contacted) who
believes in Ed’s innocence and will work vigorously to protect Ed’s
rights and confront the government.

These are tough financial times. But, please give a moment to think about
my husband, sitting in a jail cell, day after day, with no hope, not even
able to help in his own defense. I can’t visit him with him to give him
hope or moral support, because the judge has entered a very unfair
“no-contact” order.

Even the smallest donation will go a long way to help win this case and
expose the corruption behind the false charges. It may even help others
who also face false accusations by the government.

Please make your contribution check / money order payable to:

The Edgar Steele Defense Fund
P.O. Box 1255
Sagle, Idaho 83860

(Funds will be held in an attorney’s trust account.) Or, go online and
donate by credit card and through PayPal at:

[CLICK HERE FOR PAGE] [http://www.free-edgar-steele.com/?page_id=68]

My sincerest and most heartfelt thanks for your time in considering this
plea for help,

Cyndi G. Steele

pokerkid
Site Admin

PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO SEND FUNDS TO

Post#4 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:16 pm

PAYPAL ACCOUNT TO SEND FUNDS TO
http://www.free-edgar-steele.com/?page_id=68

pokerkid
Site Admin

update 11-21-10

Post#5 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 am

latest newsletter from the Steeles:

Dear ConspiracyPenPal email list subscribers:

The www.free-edgar-steele.com web site Adminstrators - along with North
Idaho and Eastern Washington state close supporters - hope your upcoming
Thanksgiving celebration will be warm and bright, with friends and family
attending. Dare we hope for that sometimes-dreaded word, "s-n-o-w"? Hmmm,
maybe not.

Work continues on numerous fronts to facilitate the end of Edgar Steele's
POLITICAL PRISONER incarceration. Some details cannot be shared at the
present time, but suffice it to say, all efforts are pulling in the same
direction: freedom for our kinsman.

Two announcements are ready for release:

1) Mrs. Cyndi Steele is seriously considering a speaking/fund-raising
tour (USA only), and she invites groups (or organizers) to contact the
Free Edgar Steele Steering Committee at [eMail Address] [mailto:admin@free-edgar-steele.com]
or use the Contact page ( [FES Web Site] [http://www.free-edgar-steele.com/?page_id=22]).

2) A FaceBook account has been created to support Edgar's release. If you
are a FaceBook user, find us at [FaceBook Account] [http://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-Edga ... 391?v=wall]
and consider joining as a friend.

A sincere and heartfelt thanks goes out to all supporters who have helped
with donation gifts, the current fund has passed the $25,000 mark, which
is extraordinary!

Best wishes to each and every one, signed: FES Admins.

hangman
Acolyte

Post#6 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:58 am

This has to be a nightmare for Ed and his family. The real criminals do all kinds of bad things to those who tell the truth about them.

pokerkid
Site Admin

waaaaah the OPR cockroaches have surfaced again

Post#7 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:56 am

Dont like our pro-freedom activities...

thanks for all the PR support ADL/SPLC/OPR
We couldnt grow as quickly with out you.
thanks. no really, thanks
pk

Here is their hit piece about us and Ed Steele...

From One Peoples Rejects:
TEABAGGER BAND POKER FACE TO HOST FUNDRAISER TO FREE A FASCIST
http://onepeoplesproject.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=25

Given how many often things get convoluted in such trials as to not provide an accurate picture, as evidenced by the twists and turns already made in the case as it is, we are going to avoid predicting what is going to happen in the murder-for-hire case of Aryan Nations attorney Edgar J. Steele. But the We're not racist" teabagger band Poker Face is planning to hold a benefit for him, and how can we not opine on that? Look, we expect the usual defenses of freedom of speech and charges that the federal government are out to get Steele for being "politically incorrect", not to mention that thing about Poker Face calling him a "Patriot Attorney". We just have one question though: Why is it the only time this crowd sees patriots, defenders of freedom and attacks on freedom of speech is when they concern people who are diametrically opposed to the freedoms of those who don't have white skin or follow the Christian faith. Edgar Steele once wrote that we should not honor Martin Luther King, Jr. or "the nonexistent ideals that King supposedly has come to represent: equal opportunity, brotherhood and overcoming prejudice." That's not exactly the sentiment of someone that would invoke visions of a free society. Unfortunately for Steele, we do honor King, those ideals and the fact that people like Steele can do no more than cry about it on the Internet - at least while they are not locked up somewhere that is. As for Poker Face, just add this to the list of futile attempts to have it both ways. You cannot bitch about being called racist and anti-Semitic while defending and supporting racist and anti-Semitic people and ideals. They have not yet announced when or where they are having this fundraiser. They want to keep it under wraps so people won't be able to alert the venue and prompt them to pull the rug out from under the whole thing. Apparently Poker Face believes in freedom to a point, just like their "Patriot Attorney" Steele. If they were truly about freedom for all, they would feel that way about those who would want the freedom to decide if a concert for a white supremacist is something they want in their venue.

One People's Project

ALLENTOWN, PA--The band Poker Face, a band affiliated with tea party groups who have long denied being a racist and anti-Semitic band, has announced they are holding a fundraiser for a Idaho-based white supremacist attorney accused of orchestrating a murder-for-hire plot to kill his wife and mother-in-law.

"Another one of our friends being setup by the anti-American parasites of the ADL. This time they are f-ing with Ed Steele," Lead singer Paul Topete wrote on the Poker Face forum on their website under the name "Pokerkid". "Groups like the ADL and SPLC will be imprisoned for their crimes against Americans and America, when we take over our government again."

Edgar Steele in the mugshot he seemed to have thought was only for black people.

Edgar J. Steele

Edgar J. Steele, an attorney from Bonner County, Idaho who represented the late Dick Butler and 3 Aryan Nations security guards in 2000 civil trial that bankrupted the racist group, has been in jail since June on charges that he tried to hire someone to murder his wife Cyndi and her mother. According to federal court documents, Larry Fairfax, a handyman and a friend of Steele's for over 20 years, informed authorities that Steele had discussed with him six months earlier a list of people he wanted dead, and he agreed to the plot and accepted travel money, court documents say. After federal agents were able to record Steele planning the murders after concealing a device on Fairfax, Steele was arrested the day he was supposed to have an alibi when his wife and mother-in-law was killed.

The case has taken a number of turns since the arrest however. Fairfax had since been arrested because he neglected to inform authorities that the pipe bomb meant to kill Cyndi Steele and her mother had already been rigged. Car mechanics at a Jiffy Lube in Coeur d'Alene, ID found the device when the vehicle was brought into service, and Fairfax told authorities that he had contructed the bomb. Another twist is that Cyndi Steele has come out in defense of her husband, saying that his arrest is actually part of a government plot to silence him, and is planning a speaking tour to build support for him. "The FBI says that my husband hired Larry Fairfax to kill me and my mother," Cyndi said at a press conference in September. "That is not true. We have been married for 25 years. Ed loves me, I love him."

Poker Face's Paul Topete at Saturday's rally against the Federal Reserve in Philadelphia with a ladyfriend.

The author of a book entitled "Defensive Racism", Steele failed to successfully defend Aryan Nations in a $6 Million lawsuit brought about by the Southern Poverty Law Center on behalf of Victoria and Jason Keenen two Native Americans attacked by Aryan Nation guards outside its compound in 1998. It effectively bankrupted the organization, now fragmented with several organizations in the US claiming to be the true Aryan Nations, and forcing them out of their compound near Hayden Lake. He has since been a favorite speaker at white supremacist conferences, including those sponsored by Willis Carto's Barnes Review and David Duke's European American Rights Organization (EURO), and has worked as a spokesperson for the reportedly defunct white supremacist singing duo Prussian Blue.

As Cyndi Steele did during the press conference. Edgar Steele maintains that the evidence against him has been fabricated. In a jailhouse letter published in the American Free Press and reposted in Paul Topete's post on the case, Steele also says that in truth Fairfax, who he calls his "hillbilly handyman" is actually trying to cover up stealing $60,000 in silver from Steele with the story of the alleged murder plot. "Knowing I would discover the theft [and] know it was him, he tried to kill me with two pipe bombs he placed on the cars he knew I drove," Steele wrote. "They both failed to go off. Cyndi left town with one before he removed it, which led to the discovery of the car bomb on our Mitsubishi SUV."

Curiously, even though Steele says that his arrest was part of a plot to cover up the theft of the silver, he also says that Fairfax has approached him before about being a hit-man for him. "This murder-for-hire plot is beyond my hillbilly hit man, so I assume he went to the ADL, which either fabricated tapes that he played for the FBI recorder or produced a mimic of me to make the tapes for the FBI on the spot," Steele wrote. "Regardless, I have been framed and set-up! [By the way], the ADL was quoted extensively in the government's opening papers in court."

Poker Face, who is profiled in the NAACP report on racist elements in the Tea Party campaigns as already having "a reputation for anti-Semitism" when they participated in the July 4, 2009 Tea Party rally in Senate Park in Washington, DC, has not announced where or when the Steele fundraiser is to be held and will not tell anyone where in particular until closer to the day to avoid the calls of protest to venues where they play. On Saturday, they played at Planet Trogg in nearby Whitehall, and earlier that day, Topete was seen with a ladyfriend at the End the Fed Rally outside the Federal Reserve Building in Philadelphia. Steele's trial was set for November 1, but to date has not begun.
Add Comment
Last Updated on Sunday, 21 November 2010 19:07

pokerkid
Site Admin

Heres a nice little list of Fellow anti-American SCUMBAGs

Post#8 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:15 am

SCUMBAG SITES affiliated with OPR(One Peoples Rejects):
Alto Arizona
Anti-Racist Action
Anti-Racist Canada
Bash Back News
Brotherwise Dispatch
Carlos in DC
Chrisy 58
Crooks and Liars
Gossip Boy
Institute for Research & Education on Human Rights
Jobs With Justice
Lady Liberty's Lamp
Lunatic Fringe
Max Blumenthal
NewsHounds
Nikki's Nest
Oread Daily
Orincus
Political Cartoons by Mike Flugennock
Puente
Respect/Respeto
RichardWarman.ca
Show Racism the Red Card - North America
Southern Anti-Racism Network
Tea Party Tracker.org
TeaPartyNationalism.com
We Are Brothers
YAF Watch
Leonard Zeskind

hangman
Acolyte

Post#9 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Boy, when those pukes go after someone, they sure don't mind making shit up and using all kins of innuendos. Does anybody read their junk anyway?

pokerkid
Site Admin

Bonner County Daily Bee posts Cyndi Steele rebuttal,

Post#10 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:43 pm

With interest in, and support of North Idaho's Edgar J. Steele

Bonner County Daily Bee posts Cyndi Steele rebuttal,
http://www.free-edgar-steele.com/?p=193#more-193
1/27/2011

(The BCDB finally posted this rebuttal, after dragging their feet and being prodded by local Steele supporters. One can’t help but notice their article headline AVOIDS mentioning Edgar or Cyndi Steele, likely with intent to make the rebuttal less obvious.)
Stories have ignored important facts in case

I am the wife of First Amendment lawyer Edgar Steele and I object to the reporting in your Dec. 17 article regarding the February 2011 sentencing of Idaho’s pipe bomber, Larry Fairfax.

[LINK TO ARTICLE]

Your article doesn’t mention that my mother and I are victims of Fairfax’s attempts to murder us, but states that we are victims of my husband’s alleged crime: murder-for-hire. Your article completely missed the fact that my mother and I believe my husband is innocent. The article mentions that Fairfax came “forward” supposedly to tell authorities the whole truth about his criminal activities, but says nothing about him lying to the FBI when he kept secret that a bomb was attached to my car.

Other missed facts:

1. In May and early June of last year, my husband and I discovered Fairfax was stealing from us (an obvious motivation for accusing my husband of a crime to take the “heat” off of him and cover up these thefts);

2. Fairfax, who attached the bomb to my car, admits knowing I was about to embark on a 1000-mile journey through populated areas;

3. As early as May, either Fairfax or his alleged accomplice, James Maher, could have reduced the public safety risk by informing authorities of the bomb, but they chose to “assume” that it had fallen off my car (creating more public risk) instead of telling authorities, they kept the secret until discovery of the bomb in an oil change on June 15;

4. On June 8 when he came “forward,” Fairfax was represented by a retired judge, James Michaud, who did not disclose the bomb;

5. FBI is supposed to protect citizens from crime, but instead of protecting the public, the government has carefully protected Fairfax from the serious consequences of his crimes;

6. FBI attempted to tamper with my testimony;

7. FBI “evidence tapes,” supposedly of my husband’s voice, were obviously fabricated;

8. The government has “plausible deniability” of their own corruption if Fairfax claims he didn’t inform them about the bomb;

9. FBI aware of death threats by ADL against my husband and our family for years, including this threat: “The FBI would love to see you dead!”;

10. Fairfax’s plea to the lesser crimes of manufacturing and possessing an illegal weapon rather than the serious crimes of attempted murder with an explosive device, allows him to take the “fall” for the government;

11. Fairfax didn’t have to face a grand jury because charges were simply “filed” against him, thus helping him avoid the consequences of the real crimes he committed against me and the public; and

12. Tthe soft plea deal in February for Fairfax means that he will not spend more than a year in prison, while in March my husband must face charges that could mean a sentence upwards of 70 years.

Let me be absolutely clear, my husband, Edgar Steele is innocent and did not hire Larry Fairfax or anyone to kill me or anyone else.

Visit www.free-edgar-steele.com for more details.

CYNDI G. STEELE
Sagle

pokerkid
Site Admin

Trial Update - 3-6-11

Post#11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:47 pm

COEUR D'ALENE, Idaho (AP) - Jury selection began Monday in the federal trial of a former Aryan Nations attorney accused of hiring a man to kill his wife.

A pool of 70 prospective jurors was called and will be asked if they or a family member or friend had ever been involved in hate groups like Aryan Nations. The trial is expected to last two weeks.

Edgar Steele, 65, has pleaded not guilty to hiring Larry Fairfax to kill his wife and her mother and contends he is the victim of a government conspiracy because of his unpopular views and writings. His wife, Cyndi Steele, has said she also believes her husband is innocent.

Steele in 2000 represented Aryan Nations leader Richard Butler in a federal civil lawsuit brought by two people who were attacked by the group's security guards. A jury awarded the victims $6.3 million, which bankrupted Aryan Nations and forced Butler to sell his 20-acre compound.

Steele went on to represent other controversial clients and also published a website and book with extensive anti-Semitic and white supremacist views.
(Bull Shit, read the book for yourself and you will find NO such thing)

U.S. District Judge B. Lynn Winmill last week denied a motion to delay the trial for a third time, after Steele's lawyers - Robert McAllister, of Englewood, Colo., and Gary Amendola, of Coeur d'Alene - argued they had not had enough time to prepare their defense.

Prosecutors say Fairfax became an undercover FBI informant and secretly recorded conversations in which he and Steele discussed the plot. Steele was arrested as his Sagle home in June.

Steele and his wife both contend those recordings are fakes.
(There are hundreds of audio recordings (radio/TV) that could be put together to make Steele say anything)

According to court documents, people in the jury pool will be asked questions such as: "Have you or anyone with whom you have a relationship or friendship ever held the belief or espoused the position held by or been a member of the K.K.K., Aryan Nations, National Socialist Movement, National Alliance or similar group which bases its doctrine on race or ethnicity?"

Another question asks prospective jurors if they have ever believed the federal government has no jurisdiction over state or local citizens.
(Talk about "stacking the deck", this one eliminates most Americans)

Steele is also charged with use of explosive materials to commit a federal felony, possession of a destructive device in relation to a crime of violence, and tampering with a victim.

The tampering charge is the result of telephone conversations Steele had with his wife from jail in which he told her to deny to authorities that it was his voice on the secret recordings.

Fairfax admitted planting a pipe bomb under Cyndi Steele's vehicle but said he rigged it so it would not explode. He is in jail awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty to two firearms charges for making and possessing a pipe bomb. He is expected to testify for the prosecution.
(remember, "Fairfax became/is an undercover FBI informant")

pokerkid
Site Admin

update from the trial 4-28-2011

Post#12 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 am

Jurors Hear Tapes in trial of 'Aryan Nations' Lawyer

The Hoffman Wire -Dedicated to Freedom of the Press, Investigative Reporting and Revisionist History

Subscribe: HoffmanWire-subscribe@topica.com
Michael A. Hoffman II: Editor. RevisionistHistory.org

Jurors hear FBI recordings in Steele case

By David Cole | Coeur d'Alene Press (Idaho) | April 28, 2011
http://tinyurl.com/3lyo2tq

BOISE - Federal prosecutors on Wednesday played for the first time in
public the two June 2010 audio recordings of retired 65-year-old
attorney Edgar J. Steele plotting with his handyman, Larry Fairfax, the
alleged murder-for-hire of Steele's wife.

The recordings are likely to be prosecutors' best evidence against
Steele during the trial in U.S. District Court in Boise. Both were
obtained when 50-year-old Fairfax agreed to carry a hidden recording
device in his pocket as he cooperated as an FBI informant against
Steele.

Steele's wife, Cyndi Steele, was in the gallery as the recordings were
played aloud and transcripts were projected for jurors to follow along.
The Steeles celebrated their 26-year wedding anniversary Wednesday, the
first day of testimony in his trial. A panel of 11 women and one man
were seated Tuesday for the jury. Two alternates also are women.

Fairfax, of Sagle, testified in a white-and-orange striped jail suit,
saying he went to the authorities about the alleged murder plot because
he never really wanted to kill Cyndi Steele in the first place. "I
thought there might be a way I could get the money without doing it,"
Fairfax said.

After he accepted payment, Fairfax said Steele grew impatient for the
deed to be done. Fairfax said Steele had told him, "If I didn't take
care of the job, he would get somebody else to take care of the job -
and me."

Fairfax said he told Steele he needed money to settle unpaid bills and
avoid foreclosure, before Steele allegedly made the offer to off his
wife and mother-in-law. Fairfax said he falsely led Steele to believe he
had experience in just the type of illegal work he says Steele wanted
done.

Prosecutors provided receipts from coin shops in Spokane and Coeur
d'Alene, showing Fairfax cashed in nearly $10,000 in silver "rounds."

Fairfax said the silver was his payment from Steele.

Fairfax called the pipe bomb he made and placed under Cyndi Steele's
vehicle a "North Idaho firecracker," a roughly foot-long metal pipe, two
to three inches in diameter, packed with gunpowder. Fairfax said he
didn't fill the pipe with a non-explosive material because he was afraid
Steele would have checked his work.

He said he rigged it to be a dud, but admitted it could have gone off.

Fairfax said Steele promised to pay him $10,000 for each person he
killed, and offered to pay Fairfax an extra $5,000 to kill his wife in
Oregon. He said Steele wanted some neighbors and judges killed, too. He
said there were about 12 people he wanted dead.

When Fairfax went to the FBI with the plot, he never mentioned the
massive pipe bomb he had already placed under Cyndi Steele's vehicle
because he hadn't secured "immunity" yet, something his lawyer told him
he would get. Fairfax is awaiting sentencing for the pipe bomb.

On the recordings, the two men discuss payment, alibis for Steele, the
consequences of Fairfax getting caught in the act, and methods for
carrying out their alleged scheme. Steele, acknowledging the years he
had spent with his wife, said he didn't want her to know what was
happening in her final moments. He also asked that she not suffer.

Steele told Fairfax on June 9, as Fairfax tended to horses on Steele's
property, he would "make out very handsomely on this one" when she died
- if an insurance policy paid out.

In an apparent reference to Cyndi Steele's black SUV, Steele told
Fairfax, "If that black thing leaves, I guarantee you she's driving it."

Methods varied from placing a bomb under her vehicle, to causing her to
wreck, to what they called "guns blazing."

Steele asked, "Larry, I can count on you?"

And, "It has to happen right now," Steele told Fairfax. "I'm coming up
against some things." During this conversation, Fairfax can be heard
borrowing $400 from Steele to cover travel expenses to the Portland area
where Cyndi Steele's mother lives.

In a recording the next day, when Fairfax was dropping a borrowed
vehicle off at Steele's home, Steele told him if Fairfax got caught
trying to kill her in Oregon, the trail would lead right back to
him. "We'll be sharing a cell together," Steele is heard saying on that
recording.

Steele also advised Fairfax to make sure Cyndi Steele dies, because he
doesn't want to have to take care of a crippled person. "This could
actually become a much worse situation than it is," Steele said. He told
Fairfax that he couldn't abandon his wife if she was a "paraplegic"
because their children would then hate him forever.

In opening statements, Steele's defense lawyer Robert T. McAllister said
the case is "as much about Larry Fairfax as it is about Edgar
Steele." He said it's not clear why Steele would want to kill his wife,
who had been taking care of him as he dealt with heart problems and
recovered from surgeries. Plus, he said Steele has never been in trouble
with the law.

And, "Why would he ask someone like Larry Fairfax to do it?" McAllister
said.

The lawyer said Fairfax stole silver from the Steeles. He called Fairfax
a liar for not telling the FBI about the pipe bomb he placed under Cyndi
Steele's car, letting her drive around with it and risk injury or death,
or risk it falling off and injuring the public.

"All the evidence points back to Larry Fairfax," McAllister said.

In his opening statements, Assistant U.S. Attorney Marc Haws laid out
the charges, the names of primary players in the case, dates of
significance to the government's case, relevant places that include the
Steeles' Sagle home and Cyndi Steele's mother's home in Oregon City,
Ore., and alleged motives. "He suspected she had a boyfriend," Haws
said. She had been spending so much time in Oregon in the spring of
2010, teaching dancing and caring for her mother. "He resented Cyndi."

He said Steele began to carry on a "dalliance" by Internet with a
Russian woman, who Haws promised would be testifying in the trial, by
video, because of the distance.

"It's a story of a man who wanted to hire somebody to murder his wife,"
Haws. "He is adept at pressuring people to do things he wanted them to
do."

FBI agent Mike Sotka was the first witness called to testify.

He said law enforcement officers delivered a fake notification to Steele
at his home just before arresting him, reporting his wife had been
killed. Sotka said he had decided to do this to see how Steele would
react.

Then, Sotka said they broke the news that they knew of the alleged
murder-for-hire plot and investigators had spoken with Fairfax. At this
point, Sotka and other law enforcement officials at Steele's house
immediately could smell fecal matter in the air and Sotka said he
believed Steele had "defecated" in his pants.

The trial continues today. Steele could spend the rest of his life in
prison if found guilty of the murder-for-hire count and related charges.

The HOFFMAN WIRE is a public service of Independent History and Research, Box 849, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho 83816 USA

24 Hour Revisionist News Bureau:
http://www.revisionisthistory.org/page1/news.html
Subscribe: HoffmanWire-subscribe@topica.com

Disclaimer: The Hoffman Wire is a controversial and politically incorrect e-mail letter intended only for those who have requested it. We have a strict anti-spamming policy. The views expressed in the Hoffman Wire are the sole responsibility of the author(s) and do not reflect the views of advertisers or the transmitter.

Freedom of the Press: A hallowed right.
Responsible Dissent: A contribution to understanding and dialogue.

hangman
Acolyte

Post#13 » Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 am

You just know this had to happen. I wonder how much this convoluted verdict cost the SPLC in bribes.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/m ... ll-counts/

Edgar Steele guilty on all counts

BOISE — A North Idaho lawyer accused of plotting to to kill his wife and mother-in-law failed to convince a federal jury Thursday that he was the victim of a government conspiracy to silence him.

The jury of 11 women and 1 man convicted Edgar Steele on all four counts, which alleged he’d hired a hitman-turned-FBI-informant to kill his wife, Cyndi Steele, and mother-in-law. Federal agents foiled the plan, though a pipe bomb later was found attached to Cyndi Steele’s sport utility vehicle.

Cyndi Steele, however, stood by her husband throughout the case.

“He’s innocent,” an emotional Cyndi Steele said after the verdict was read. “He did not do this, and we have the proof, which was denied in the courtroom.”

Edgar Steele, 65, a self-described “attorney for the damned” who gained notoriety in 2000 for his defense of the Aryan Nations against a civil lawsuit that bankrupted the racist group, is to be sentenced Aug. 22 in Coeur d’Alene. He faces at least 30 years in prison.

The Steeles contend secret FBI recordings of Edgar Steele plotting the would-be murder with the family’s handyman, Larry Fairfax, were fabricated. But an audio expert that Steele had hired to question the authenticity of the recordings was unavailable to testify because he reportedly was vacationing in Bora Bora.

Defense lawyer Robert McAllister said he expects Steele will appeal.

Jurors began deliberating Wednesday afternoon following a week and a half of testimony.

Cyndi Steele said Thursday that her husband believes everyone is entitled to legal representation and had agreed to represent the Aryan Nations’ founder, Richard Butler, against the lawsuit, not the racist group itself. She said her husband disagreed with some of Butler’s positions but supported his right to legal representation, and has paid a heavy price over the years for that commitment.

Edgar Steele also had hosted a webcast that was popular among white supremacists, and is regularly cited on racist Internet message boards.

From the beginning, Steele and his supporters accused the government of targeting him because of his willingness to provide legal representation for unpopular individuals.

But U.S. Attorney Wendy Olson said Thursday that before being advised by Larry Fairfax last year that he’d been hired to kill Cyndi Steele, none of the agents or prosecutors assigned to the case had even heard of Steele.

“Edgar Steele chose to target himself when he offered money to Larry Fairfax for the murder of his wife,” Olson said outside the courtroom.

The case was moved to Boise after the trial was delayed March 7 at the last minute in Coeur d’Alene.

Steele’s supporters are critical of prosecutors for going easy on Fairfax, who failed to tell agents he’d already planted a pipe bomb on Cyndi Steele’s vehicle when he advised them of the murder-for-hire plot.

Fairfax was arrested June 15 after Coeur d’Alene auto shop workers found the pipe bomb under Cyndi Steele’s car. Fairfax pleaded guilty last October to two federal weapons charges and is to be sentenced after Steele’s trial.

Prosecutors say Steele wanted his wife killed so he could pursue a relationship with a 25-year-old Ukrainian woman.

Steele sent more than 14,000 messages to the woman and others whom he met through an online dating website. His wife and other supporters said the communication was part of his research into Russian mail order brides.

In the secret FBI recordings, Steele discussed planned alibis for the day his wife is to be killed. Before his arrest, investigators told Steele his wife was dead to observe his reaction and see if he brought up the proposed alibis.

Police described Steele’s reaction as flat and forced until they told him he was under arrest for murder for hire and a fecal odor filled the air.

“I would submit that his body reacted and told more truth than his mouth did,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Marc Haws said in his closing argument Wednesday.

Watch for continuing updates at spokesman.com and for complete coverage in Friday’s edition of The Spokesman-Review.