A Nourishing Newsletter Grown Close To Home

We can come together here to share ideas on how we can make this idea work, where a local community on a county level produces most if not ALL of their basic needs. You can choose to do it alone, with your family or make it work for your community. We need to change our raw materials from dead-hydrocarbon sources to a living-carbohydrate sources (HEMP). You will be amazed to see how many thousands of everyday used products are made from this bountiful raw material resource.....
pokerkid
Site Admin

Post#1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:18 pm

heres a cool email from a friend.
I like the attitude behind it, people helping each other, and gaining something from it together.
pk

Hey there,

I hope you are well.

Hope you enjoy this installment of my newsletter...

My favorite day of the week this time of year is Tuesday. That’s the day I spend
planting, hoeing, weeding and harvesting at my CSA, the farm where I get my locally
grown, fresh, organic produce. CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. The
farm is supported by members of the community who buy or work for a share of what’s grown
on the farm for an entire season.

Each week, based on the yield, you get a specified amount of everything that has been
harvested. To give you an example, last week, my share included, romaine lettuce, mixed
greens, kale, swiss chard, broccoli, kohlrabi (if you want to see a picture of a
kohlrabi, just email me), dill, parsley, cabbage and turnips. There’s also usually a
“U-Pick”. This week is was strawberries and snap peas. There’s nothing like picking a
juicy red strawberry right from the earth and eating it there on the spot. It just
doesn’t get sweeter.

Here are some benefits of joining a CSA and buying locally:

1. Save Money: Joining a CSA allows you to save money and support your community at the
same time. There’s no comparison between the cost of your CSA share and what the same
amount of organic produce would have cost at the supermarket.
2. More Vitamins: The vitamins in fruits and vegetables are not fully present until they
are ripe on the plant they’ve grown on. Most produce is shipped many miles to arrive at
your grocery store. Because of this distance, most fruits and vegetables are picked
early so that they don’t spoil before they get to your store. When they ripen off the
vine, they do not generate any more vitamins than they had when they were picked.
3. Freshness: When you buy local produce, it’s picked when it is ripe because it can be
sold immediately without having to travel far distances.
4. Better Health: When you have a weekly share from a CSA, you probably have far more
healthy produce in your fridge than you otherwise would, meaning you’re eating more
healthy food than you otherwise might.
5. Eat With The Seasons: Being a member of a CSA provides you with a wealth of vibrant
seasonal produce. Eating what’s in season in your region is how Mother Nature intended
you to eat which brings you that much closer to optimal health.
6. Less Gas Consumption: The less your food has to travel, the less gas that is used to
transport the produce. Using so much of our natural resources to transport so much food
is not sustainable.
7. Good For The Environment: Polluting carbon dioxide is given off when boats and trucks
are used to bring food from all around the world.
8. Support your community: Buying locally allows you to support your community. If
you’re buying food from other places you are supporting their community rather than your
own.

Every little bit helps. Collectively we can make a big difference. If you don’t join a
CSA, try to become more aware of where you can get locally grown or made products.
Whenever possible, try to visit your local farmer’s market or take notice of what locally
grown produce is available at your supermarket.

Remember, there’s no diet or lifestyle that’s going to work for everybody. You body has
a voice; it talks to you all the time. Sadly, we rarely listen to it. Cravings,
heartburn, PMS, exhaustion, sleepless nights…it’s how your body communicates. It’s
telling you that things are out of balance and something needs to be done.

I know it can be hard to get started. Setting up a free initial consultation with me is a
GREAT start. We can meet in person, or talk over the phone. Email me at
carolyn@feelnourished.com or call me at 215-627-1308 to schedule a time.

Lastly, I wanted to highly recommend this week’s (cover date of June 12th) issue of Time
Magazine. It has many, many great articles about food, your family and your health.

All the best,

Carolyn

NOURISH
Carolyn Ballen
Holistic Health Coach
www.feelnourished.com
carolyn@feelnourished.com
215-627-1308

P.S. - My first photography show is this Friday, I hope to see many of you there.

Here are the details:

Carolyn’s Photography Show
Friday, June 16th, 8PM – 11PM
10th Street Laundromat (yup, it’s a real Laundromat)
1141-43 S. 10th
Philadelphia, PA