Why underground housing?

Tools for survival in this insane world as an individual, a family, or a community. Ideas to share that work. Products to buy that empower us.
pokerkid
Site Admin

Why underground housing?

Post#1 » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:07 pm

http://www.undergroundhousing.com/

Why underground housing?
Underground housing is a concept whose time has come again. Its advantages over above-ground housing are spectacular. It stays warm in the winter and cool in the summer. It blends in with nature rather than rearing above it. It can double the yard space in a city. To the neighbors it looks like a park. It is the most environmentally sound. It uses half the building materials. It is the safest form of housing: it is fire resistant, radiation resistant and is impervious to tornado and hurricane strength winds. It even does better in earthquakes, for the quake rolls through the structure. With above ground housing the earth is rolling and the structure above is inert. There has to be a transition point and that is the foundation. Often it crumbles, and when it does the structure above comes down. Safest? Where are the traditional tornado shelters located? Where are the fallout shelters? Where does an army go to defend itself? In a world that is increasingly hostile, it’s really nice to know that Mother Earth herself is providing your safety. Snug.

The $15,000 Ridge House, now under construction on Mike Oehler's land

Here is what Home & Garden Network (HGTV) had to say about Mike Oehler's underground house, on a special called "The Subterraneans", which was broadcast 6 times between January 1 and March 24, 2003. (Check your schedule for future airings):

"This guy literally wrote the book on subterranean housing and sold more than 75,000 copies of The $50 & Up Underground House Book. He lives in his own creation. It's a little snug but it's custom built and has all the creature comforts. You can barely see it, a dream get away nestled deep in the mountains of scenic Northern Idaho on 40 acres of land. Imagine it, all yours for $500. That's what subterranean pioneer Mike Oehler created when he... built one of the nations first underground houses in 1971... Today his little house in a hillside is a rustic gem... It's like having an underground log cabin... and somehow eight feet underground there's still lots of light here. Mike has developed what he calls an Up Hill Patio, a cut behind the house and into the hill, where plants can grow and light and air flow through the house. MIKE: "I think I've got the only system in the country, maybe the world where you get light, air and views from two or three directions in each and every room in the underground house.'
"A beautiful mountain side, custom design, self-sufficiency and plenty of natural light even though you're underground, and all for $500. And maybe best of all, tranquility. MIKE: 'Its easy to heat, easy to cool, It's easy on your ears because it's much more soundproof in there.'
“So what's next for Mike Oehler? Well, he's writing a new book and he's designing and building a new (1800 sq. ft. underground) home. It's got a patio, and a tree house, and an underground pool and jacuzzi. And how much for this super house? $15,000.”

Please read Countryside Magazine's article on Mike Oehler's work. Click here.

Learn about Mike Oehler's $50 & Up Underground House Book, or about the Underground Housing Video Set. Or use the menu at left for more information.

Mole Publishing Co. Route 4, Box 618 Bonners Ferry, ID 83805 1-208-267-7349

hangman
Acolyte

Post#2 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Check this out. Being in the business, sorta, I have seen several underground homes, and I think it's a great idea.

http://www.ultimatesecurehome.com/secure_home.htm

pennfreeman
Patriot

Re: Subteranean living

Post#3 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:28 pm

I am in Pennsylvania and we have plenty of natural resources here and am interested in obtaining more information pertaining to underground housing and anyone who has lived in them for an extended period of time. Thanks much. By the way I think it is the only way to go for freedom-loving folk, patriots and Christians. God Bless.

pokerkid
Site Admin

its a good viable option.... living underground

Post#4 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:37 pm

but I dont know anyone in my immediate circles that have done this.

I have read about some folks that are refurbishing old missile silos and converting a few into some kick ass homes...
peace
pk