hybrid vs. airloom seeds

Healthy Food supply is key to a healthy population. Share techniques/methods/secrets with the rest, to help us help ourselves...
massiah2012

hybrid vs. airloom seeds

Post#1 » Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:33 pm

If you want variety, superior flavor, unusual colors and shapes and unique histories, heirloom gardening is a wonderful alternative to growing the F1 hybrids featured predominately by many large seed companies.

Storbought hybrids produce seeds that cant be replanted so you buy more

As a home gardener, you can make a difference simply by growing heirlooms and helping to keep the genetic reservoir well stocked for future generations.

http://www.seedsavers.org/

chester
Patriot

monsanto

Post#2 » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:32 am

cross pollination allows copyrighted genetics to give someone rights to take your crops for having copyrighted dna

so they will just steal all the free stuff

WallflowerGal
Acolyte

SEED COMPANIES

Post#3 » Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:00 pm

There are many seed companies that sell only heirloom varieties and have NO GMO policies. One company is FEDCO seeds out of Maine, they have a web site at www.fedcoseeds.com (I think). Another good seed company is Nicholos Garden Nursery out of Albany Oregon, they have taken a strong stand also (though by far FEDCO has for several years adopted a strict organic policy). I also believe that Territorial Seed Company may also be an option though I have never bought from them before. Their web addy is, www.territorial-seed.com.
In the past I have had some luck with saving certain seeds, and have known people that have saved all their seeds and had great luck.

Hope this helps.........

God bless